San Gil and Santa Ana Church in Granada - History and InformationThis is a little Mudejar church right where the Carrera del Darro begins.
The Church of Santa Ana in Granada was built in 1501 in place of the mosque of Almanzra. In this church Mariana de Pineda, a nineteenth-century heroine executed for embroidering a liberal flag, was married.
The Entrance PriceThe entrance to Santa Ana Church is free.
Opening HoursThis church is open for prayers. Visits are allowed when there are not Eucharistic liturgy and other worship services.
Summer time Mass (June - September):
Working days: 19:00 (except Mondays).
Sunday and Holidays: 12:30 and 19:00.
Winter time Mass (Octuber - May):
Working days: 18:00 (except Mondays), Sundays and Holidays 12:30 and 18:00.
Contact Details and How to Get There
AddressPlaza de Santa Ana 1, Granada 18009.
Telephone958 225 054.
How to get thereThe Church of Santa Ana is next to the Plaza Nueva.
You can get to the church by routes 4, 8, 11, 21, 33 (the bus stop is 'Gran Via 1' or Cathedral), C31, C32, C34, (the bus stop is Plaza Isabel Catolica). urban bus.
Page Updated: March 27, 2020
Opinions about Santa Ana Church in Granada
Mix of Islamic and Spanish culturesIt’s a beautiful small church with interesting history right in the centre of the city, with very original interior and also with excellent views of the Alhambra from Santa Ana square.
Built in 1537 by Diego de Siloe (one the best Spanish architects) on top of the mosque of Almanzra, it’s a mix of Islamic and Spanish cultures. Before its bell tower was a minaret, it is the only thing left from the mosque.
Small beautiful Mudejar-Renaissance churchAlmost 500 years old catholic church with many beautiful side chapels located in an attractive the Plaza de Santa Ana square.
It is located at Plaza Santa Ana near the Real Chancilleria de Granada, another interesting building. It’s the Mudejar-Renaissance style church with a single nave, paintings, and a great ceiling.
Nearby are also the famous Darro river and Paseo de los Tristes with medieval stone bridges.