How to Get from Granada to Sierra Nevada
Sierra Nevada is located 31 km from Granada, in the southeast of the region. Granada airport is about 42 kilometres away, and Malaga airport 180 kilometres away from Sierra Nevada.
You can get from Granada to Sierra Nevada by car, via one of the highest roads in Europe.
The A-395 is a winding mountain road. It was built in 1935, but in 1996 Sierra Nevada held the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships and the road was improved.
If there is no much traffic, the journey takes between 30 and 40 minutes.
However, it might take much longer at weekends and bank holidays during high season. Traffic jams are not uncommon at the begining and at the end of the day.
Please, bear in mind that the road gets quite narrow sometimes and overtaking is forbidden.
You can also reach Sierra Nevada by bus, which takes about an hour from Granada bus station.
There are also local buses in Sierra Nevada to help you get around between the different areas of the ski resort.
Distances from Sierra Nevada to some Spanish cities are: 160 kilometres to Málaga, 462 km to Madrid and 286 km to Seville.
How to Get to Sierra Nevada by Car- From E-902/A-44 motorway, take exit 132 to Ronda Sur/Sierra Nevada/Alhambra and then exit to the A-395 road to Sierra Nevada.
- In the tunnels, keep right to take exit 5B towards A-395 Sierra Nevada/Pinos Genil. Be careful, as the left lane is for The Alhambra and Granada.
- At Kilometer 21, you will see a detour on the right, where the Visitor's Center 'El Dornajo' is located. Keep driving on the A-395 (warning: your GPS might tell you to turn left there and take the A-4025!).
You could also reach Sierra Nevada by the A-4025, but this is a longer and more difficult route.
- After driving for about 5 miles you will see the ski resort entrance signs and a roundabout. At this point you need to find a place to park your car.
- If you keep straight on you will arrive at the centre of the ski resort: Pradollano. Parking Plaza de Andalucia and the ski pass office and most of the ski lifts are just there.
- However, if you need to access the higher part of the ski resort, where there are two more car parks and the Youth Hostel, turn left and continue driving on the A-395 until you reach one of the parking areas: Los Peñones or Las Sabinas car parks.
From there you can access the ski slopes by using the chairlift Virgen de las Nieves.
How to Get to Sierra Nevada by BusThe company providing Granada-Sierra Nevada bus services is Autocares Tocina. This bus departs from Granada bus station, which is located in the north of Granada.
Departure times from Granada: Monday to Friday: 08:00, 10:00 and 17:00. Public holidays, Saturdays and Sundays: 08:00, 10:00, 15:00 and 17:00.
From Sierra Nevada to Granada you can take the bus from Pradollano: Monday to Friday and public holidays: 09:00, 16:00 and 18:30. Saturdays and Sundays: 09:00, 13:00, 16:00 and 18:30.
You can carry your skies, snowboard and any other sports equipment on this bus.
Ticket Price: a bus ticket costs 5 euros (one way) and 9 euros round trip. You can buy Sierra Nevada bus tickets online in autocarestocina.es or directly at the bus station.
Telephone: 958 465 022. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More information in bus from Granada to Sierra Nevada.
How to Get to Sierra Nevada by TaxiA taxi to Sierra Nevada will cost you more if it is snowing. The price is about 100 euros.
In normal weather conditions the price is about 60 euros.
More information in Granada Taxi.
Location of Sierra Nevada in Granada
Page Updated: February 26, 2020