What to See in the Alhambra with Children - Places, Tours and Useful TipsThis wonderful Nasrid monument filled with secrets and history, with towers, gardens and palaces, a place full of legends and mysteries, surrounded by the ancient walls, will not leave indifferent to children.
The visit will probably last all day so make sure to wear comfortable shoes, protection from the Sun and to bring some water.
There is no place where you can drink, just a couple of machines next to the Palace of Carlos V, where tickets are purchased and a small kiosk/bar in the square just after the Puerta del Vino.
This bar is ideal to have some water or beer if it gets very hot and relax a bit enjoying the views while your kids play in the square before your move up to the Torre de la Vela.
But there are many water fountains where you can refresh yourself.
It would be great if children learnt something about the Alhambra before the visit and let their imagination wander when they see it. There are books about the Alhambra and its legends dedicated especially to children.
The Alhambra's Tourism Board organizes guided tours especially for families under a program called "The Alhambra closer". Unfortuantely it is only in Spanish.
These visits, guided by experts, focus on a specific topic (for example, the water and the gardens of the Alhambra or colors and shapes of the palaces of the Alhambra) so that young and old can learn together.
This program begins in October and takes place on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 am to 12:30. Costs 6 euros for adults and 3 euros for children aged 9 to 15, children under 9 years enter for free.
For more information please check our Alhambra and Generalife pages.
How Much are the Alhambra Tickets for the Children- Children under 12 years old: free (must apply for free admission at the ticket office)
- Children from 12 to 15 years (accompanied by their parents): 8 euros
- Youths fron European Union under 26 years: 9 euros (must show the youth card). You can only buy these tickets at the box office, not on the Internet or by phone.
Prices to the Generalife Gardens for the KidsThis tickets include access to the Alcazaba, el Partal and to the Generalife gardens. Does not include entrance to los Nazaries Palace - the most important part of the Alhambra.
- Under 12 years: free (but you have to apply for free admission at the ticket office)
How to Get to the Alhambra with ChildrenThere are several options: get there by bus, walking or by tourtist train.
- By Alhambra bus: this is the fastest way but these small buses are usually full and maybe this is not the most comfortable way to travel.
- Walking: it is a very nice route that children can really enjoy but it is up the hill.
- By tourist train: it can by fun for children to go to the Alhambra by this small train. Granada City Tour train goes from the Alhambra to the Albayzin, but it costs 8 euros, five times more expensive if you go by bus.
You Might Also Be Interested In